This afternoon I completed sewing up the Prairie pillow. I had to make a time equation that was really interesting. When I lived in Chicago, I would have shopped for the backing fabric & trim and easily found something that would enhance the tapestry face. Here in southern Indiana, I realized I could easily spend a day looking for fabric, and not find it; also it takes 45 minutes each way to drive into Evansville to begin the search! So I hand-wove the backing as well as the fabric for the welting, and came out about the same in time, with superior results. So here you have it: wool twill brocade pillow face, wool twill backing & handmade welting. Voila!
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Friday, September 3, 2010
I was commissioned recently to produce a very special tapestry pillow based on prairie flowers. I cut it off the loom today, and will weave the backing fabric on Monday. Here's how it looked on the loom; the second photo is after cutting it off and blocking it. The finished pillow will be 16" square.